Fay scores six times, leads No. 7 men's lacrosse to 17-11 victory at previously unbeaten Williams

Senior captain Charlie Fay matched his career-high with six goals to lead the No. 7 nationally ranked Bates men's lacrosse team to a 17-11 victory over previously undefeated Williams College on Saturday, March 25, 2017. (File photo by Phyllis Graber Jensen/Bates College)

WILLIAMSTOWN, Mass. -- Senior captain Charlie Fay matched his career-high with six goals and the No. 7 nationally ranked Bates men's lacrosse team defeated the previously undefeated Williams College Ephs by a score of 17-11 Saturday afternoon in snowy conditions at Farley-Lamb Field.

A big first half saw the undefeated Bobcats (7-0, 4-0 NESCAC) outscore Williams (4-1, 2-1 NESCAC) 10-4. It proved to be the difference in the game.

Bates got off to a quick start, scoring the first three goals of the game. Just over a minute in, senior Jake Walsh (Baltimore, Md.) connected with junior Clarke Jones (Pepper Pike, Ohio) who found the back of the net for his seventh goal of the season. 

Then with 12:13 left in the first quarter, Fay (Falmouth, Maine) tallied an unassisted goal and followed that up less than a minute later with another score, this time on an assist from first-year Matt Chlastawa (Westfield, Mass.) to make the score 3-0 in favor of the Bobcats.

The Ephs got on the board with a Kevin Stump goal on an assist from Michael Fahey with 10:47 left in the first quarter of action.

Sophomore Dahnique Brown-Jones (New Britain, Conn.) found himself uncovered with 9:53 remaining and tallied his fourth goal of the year to push the advantage to 4-1. 

A few minutes later, Jones caused a turnover at around midfield and senior Andrew Melvin (Medfield, Mass.) crossed the ball to Fay and Fay side-armed it home for a first quarter hat trick, making the score 5-1 in favor of Bates.

After the Ephs got a goal back with 3:22 to go, the Bobcats responded with 37 seconds remaining.

Senior captain Kyle Weber (Chagrin Falls, Ohio) crossed the ball in front of the net, a little behind sophomore Matt Kelleher (Newburyport, Mass.), but Kelleher was able to secure possession. He then flipped the ball over his left shoulder with his back facing the goal for a sensational score, extending the Bobcat lead to 6-2.

The Ephs managed to cut the Bobcat lead to three at the end of the first quarter when Maxwell Stukalin tallied a goal with seven seconds left on an assist from Stump.

Weber got on the board by going top shelf for his 22nd goal of the season, pushing the advantage to 7-3 with 11:41 left in the second quarter.

With 7:14 left in the second, Walsh ran around his defender to the near side of the goal and scored on an assist from Weber, giving the Bobcats their biggest lead of the contest to that point by a count of 8-3.

Senior Scott Baber (Pound Ridge, N.Y.) got in on the act with his fourth goal of the season, sneaking the ball by Williams keeper with 3:09 left in the second quarter on an assist from Walsh.

Up 9-3, the Bobcats added yet another tally with 50 seconds left in the half. Senior Wes Shrewsbury (Boxford, Mass.) scored unassisted for his third goal of the year.

Fahey cut the Bobcat lead to 10-4 just before halftime with his second goal of the contest on an assist from Ben Fox.

Weber scored two goals right away to start the third quarter but the Ephs replied with three unanswered tallies of their own.

Up 12-7 with 5:49 left in the third, Weber found Fay for the Falmouth native's fourth goal of the game. He fired the shot in from about 15 yards out to push Bates' lead back to six.

Neither team scored for the remainder of the third, giving the Bobcats a 13-7 lead heading to the final quarter of the game.

After the Ephs' John Hincks opened the scoring in the fourth quarter on an assist from Stump, Fay struck again, firing the ball top shelf from distance for an unassisted score with 13:14 left in regulation. 

Stump forced a turnover and scored to trim the Bobcat advantage to 14-9 with 10:08 to go, but the Bobcats had the answer right away, scoring just a few seconds later. Senior Sam Francis (Newburyport, Mass.) won the faceoff and Bates got the ball to sophomore goalkeeper Mitchell Drake (Annapolis, Md.). Drake delivered a perfect outlet pass, connecting with junior Burke Smith (Wilton, Conn.). Smith caught the ball in stride and fired a shot top shelf for his third goal of the season.

Drake finished the day with 15 saves in the cage. He leads the NESCAC with 97 saves on the season. Drake is currently tied for the lead in save percentage at 61 percent. 

With 5:41 to go, Walsh connected with Kelleher for the sophomore's second goal of the afternoon, extending the Bobcat lead to 16-9.

After the Ephs scored two unanswered, Fay scored yet again. This time he shook off three different Williams defenders and found the back of the net to make the score 17-11 in favor of the Bobcats.

Fay scored six goals for the second time his career. His previous six-goal effort came last year in the Bobcats' thrilling 19-18 double overtime victory over then No. 3 nationally ranked Tufts.

Weber added three goals and three assists for the Bobcats. Weber is tied for first in the NESCAC with 24 goals while Fay is now second with 23.

Saturday's win marks the Bobcats' first victory at Williams since 2006. 

Bates welcomes Hamilton (2-5, 1-3 NESCAC) to town Saturday at 1:00 p.m.